2020 Performance Proposals
The Victoria Flamenco Festival, presented by the Flamenco de la Isla Society, is inviting all professional and semi-professional flamenco choreographers, musicians and dancers to submit their proposals for this year’s festival, taking place from July 23 – 26, 2020.
The Festival is committed to presenting pieces that show the diversity of the art of flamenco in Victoria, Vancouver Island, and Canada. Traditional, live flamenco works are welcome, as are choreographies set to recorded music.
Proposals will be accepted for the following categories: professional (and headliner) acts, emerging performer acts, and dance school acts.
All accepted acts will be performing at one of our two outdoor venues, Centennial Square and/or the Cameron Bandshell.
All fees are paid in Canadian dollars.
Professional acts (local or other) must offer 60 minutes on stage, and demonstrate a high standard and quality performance.
- Performance slots available: Afternoons or evenings of Friday, July 24, Saturday, July 25, or Sunday, July 26.
- Location will be either Centennial Square or the Cameron Bandshell (both are outdoor venues).
- Total compensation is $700 per performance.
The selection committee may choose to select one or more acts from the professional applications received, to be presented as “headliner” acts. This selection will be at the discretion of the selection committee in collaboration with the Flamenco de la Isla Society Board of Directors. If a professional act is deemed to be exceptional in quality, have the ability to engage a large audience, and be predominantly professional artists or demonstrate a solid performance history, a headliner spot may be offered. Compensation for headliner acts will be $1,200 for the 60 min. performance. As with all other outdoor performances, travel, accommodation, and other expenses are the responsibility of the artists and are not covered by the Victoria Flamenco Festival. It is strongly recommended that video footage of the artists participating in the performance proposal be submitted with your application if you wish to be considered as a headliner act.
Emerging performer acts (volunteer performers) must be between 6 minutes and 30 minutes and reflect Flamenco experience and enthusiasm.
- Afternoon time slots: 6 minute – 30 minute slots are available on Saturday, July 25 or Sunday, July 26.
- If emerging performers require Support Musicians*, please request a list of musicians available + their fees. We have guitarists, singers and palmeros available for hire.
- Musicians outside of the hired support musicians are also welcome to accompany dance selections.
- Musicians/guitarists are welcome to apply to perform instrumental solos or instrumental collaborations.
Dance school acts (volunteer performers) must be either 30 minutes or 60 minutes in length and reflect Flamenco experience and enthusiasm.
- Afternoon time slots: on Saturday, July 25 or Sunday, July 26.
- Dance school acts are designed for teachers and studio directors from established flamenco studios to showcase student work. This could include choreography and/or excerpts from student recitals or other performances. The director or teacher must submit this form. Directors may or may not choose to perform with their students, but the submitted program should be representative of the studio.
- These acts are unpaid performances, however the Flamenco de la Isla Society may be able to offer some financial assistance to groups in the Dance School category only, in order to facilitate participation from a wide variety of Schools. The number of spots available in this category will depend on funds available. Please refer to the “expense form” for more details.
- If dance school acts require Support Musicians*, please request a list of musicians available + their fees. We have guitarists, singers and palmeros available for hire.
Please note: All times are tentative and subject to change once performers have been confirmed.
After performer selections are made, any changes made to your planned performance must be submitted in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as you are aware of the changes. Changed proposals may result in rescheduling, re-categorizing, or elimination from the festival schedule. These changes may involve the inclusion, change or cancellation of a particular performer or performers in the act, program changes, etc… The Flamenco de la Isla Society reserves the right to change the performer schedule at any time and for any reason. Performance fees may be withheld or changed if the presented performance does not fulfill the contract agreed to by Headliner and Professional Acts.
* If you are a local flamenco guitarist, palmero, percussionist, or singer and would like your name added to our “Support Musicians” list, please contact email@example.com.
The Flamenco de la Isla Society pays a flat rate to headliners and professionals selected for the above specified performances. All necessary travel accommodation, accompaniment fees, per diems and other associated costs are the responsibility of the performers at all levels.**
**Dance school applicants will have a chance to request financial assistance. Funding is not guaranteed.
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: March 31, 2020
Please fill out the proposal form (follow the instructions in the “Proposal form” box at the top-right of this page) to apply for the festival.
You can send any hard copies/DVD’s by mail to:
Flamenco de la Isla Society
2568 Vancouver Street,
(Please include a self-addressed stamped envelope if you wish to have your DVD returned.)
All applicants will be contacted in late April or early May with the decision of the Board. Selected participants will be announced in June.
- If we require any further information you will be contacted
- Acts will be selected based on the previous experience of the performers, collaborative impact and artistic merit.
- Please note if many applications are received we will have to consider time/programming and budget constraints.
- Creative works that promote collaboration will be given priority.
Zoey Wells and Amity Skala are your Performer Liaisons. Please contact us for any changes, questions, and all communications at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Board of Directors of the Flamenco de la Isla Society thanks you for your interest in performing at the eighth annual Victoria Flamenco Festival. We appreciate all of the work that goes into your proposal, and we will do our best to present a strong and diverse program.
Please come out and support the Victoria Flamenco Festival events. ¡Olé!
Before you can submit a proposal, you need to complete our simple registration form (you just need to provide your email address and a password.) Once registered, you’ll be taken right away to the proposal form.
If you’ve already registered, you first need to login before you can submit a proposal. Once logged-in, you’ll be taken directly to the proposal form.