2019 Performance Proposals
The Victoria Flamenco Festival, presented by the Flamenco de la Isla Society, is inviting all professional and semi-professional flamenco choreographers, musicians and dancers to submit their proposals for this year’s festival, taking place from July 25 – 28, 2019.
The Festival is committed to presenting pieces that show the diversity of the art of flamenco in Victoria, Vancouver Island, and Canada. Traditional, live flamenco works are welcome, as are choreographies set to recorded music.
Proposals will be accepted for the following categories: headliner acts, professional acts, emerging performer acts, and dance school acts.
All accepted acts will be performing at one of our two outdoor venues, Centennial Square and/or the Cameron Bandshell.
Headliner acts (local or other) must offer 90 minutes on stage, have the ability to engage a large audience, and be predominantly professional artists or demonstrate a solid performance history.
- Time slot: Headliners perform at the end of the day on Friday, July 26, Saturday, July 27, or Sunday, July 28. Exact time to be announced.
- Location will be Centennial Square
- Total compensation is $1,200 for the performance.
Professional acts must offer 60 minutes on stage, and demonstrate a high standard and quality performance.
- Performance slots available: Afternoons of Friday, July 26, Saturday, July 27, or Sunday, July 28.
- Location will be either Centennial Square or the Cameron Bandshell.
- Total compensation is $700 per performance.
Emerging performer acts (volunteer performers) must be between 6 minutes and 30 minutes and reflect Flamenco experience and enthusiasm.
- Afternoon time slots: 6 minute – 30 minute slots are available on Saturday, July 27 or Sunday, July 28.
- If emerging performers require Support Musicians*, please request a list of musicians available + their fees. We have guitarists, singers and palmeros available for hire.
- Musicians outside of the hired support musicians are also welcome to accompany dance selections.
- Musicians/guitarists are welcome to apply to perform instrumental solos or instrumental collaborations.
Dance school acts (volunteer performers) must be either 30 minutes or 60 minutes in length and reflect Flamenco experience and enthusiasm.
- Afternoon time slots: on Saturday, July 27 or Sunday, July 28.
- Dance school acts are designed for teachers and studio directors from established flamenco studios to showcase student work. This could include choreography and/or excerpts from student recitals or other performances. The director or teacher must submit this form. Directors may or may not choose to perform with their students, but the submitted program should be representative of the studio.
- These acts are unpaid performances, however the Flamenco de la Isla Society may be able to offer some financial assistance to groups in the Dance School category only, in order to facilitate participation from a wide variety of Schools. The number of spots available in this category will depend on funds available. Please refer to the “expense form” for more details.
- If dance school acts require Support Musicians*, please request a list of musicians available + their fees. We have guitarists, singers and palmeros available for hire.
Please note: All times are tentative and subject to change once performers have been confirmed.
After performer selections are made, any changes made to your planned performance must be submitted in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as you are aware of the changes. Changed proposals may result in rescheduling, re-categorizing, or elimination from the festival schedule. These changes may involve the inclusion, change or cancellation of a particular performer or performers in the act, program changes, etc… The Flamenco de la Isla Society reserves the right to change the performer schedule at any time and for any reason. Performance fees may be withheld or changed if the presented performance does not fulfill the contract agreed to by Headliner and Professional Acts.
* If you are a local flamenco guitarist, palmero, percussionist, or singer and would like your name added to our “Support Musicians” list, please contact email@example.com.
The Flamenco de la Isla Society pays a flat rate to headliners and professionals selected for the above specified performances. All necessary travel accommodation, accompaniment fees, per diems and other associated costs are the responsibility of the performers at all levels.**
**Dance school applicants will have a chance to request financial assistance. Funding is not guaranteed.
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: March 31, 2019
Please fill out the proposal form (follow the instructions in the “Proposal form” box at the top-right of this page) to apply for the festival.
You can send any hard copies/DVD’s by mail to:
Flamenco de la Isla Society
2568 Vancouver Street,
(Please include a self-addressed stamped envelope if you wish to have your DVD returned.)
All applicants will be contacted in late April or early May with the decision of the Board. Selected participants will be announced in June.
- If we require any further information you will be contacted
- Acts will be selected based on the previous experience of the performers, collaborative impact and artistic merit.
- Please note if many applications are received we will have to consider time/programming and budget constraints.
- Creative works that promote collaboration will be given priority.
Amity Skala and Zoey Wells are your Performer Liaisons. Please contact us for any changes, questions, and all communications at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Board of Directors of the Flamenco de la Isla Society thanks you for your interest in performing at the seventh annual Victoria Flamenco Festival. We appreciate all of the work that goes into your proposal, and we will do our best to present a strong and diverse program.
Please come out and support the Victoria Flamenco Festival events. ¡Olé!
Before you can submit a proposal, you need to complete our simple registration form (you just need to provide your email address and a password.) Once registered, you’ll be taken right away to the proposal form.
If you’ve already registered, you first need to login before you can submit a proposal. Once logged-in, you’ll be taken directly to the proposal form.